Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Finally here

So this is it. My first blog entry from Ghana. Its pretty crazy to be here, sitting in the same internet cafe that I use to come to all the time 2 years ago. That's pretty much been the theme of my last few days. Re-living all the things that were so normal to me. I am surprised how adjusted I am to everything. I mean I knew exacty what to expect, but I have not really experieced any culture shock, and I feel as though I am just plopped back into my old life. As I am writing this, I have been interruped multiple times by both the woman who runs the cafe, Harriet, to ask me when we are going to Church, and this small girl who use to always run to me when I baught banannas from her mother in the morning. She gets soo excited to see me, and then when I talk to her, she just stares. I ask her question, and every answer is "fine." Is prety cute!


So yea, things like that are super normal, and since I am living in the same area as last time, many peeople here remember me, which is nice. There is a intersection (junction as they call it here) right near my house where I use the internet, buy food etc., and I have somehow become friends with all of the women who work there. So when I walk to the tro tro (bus) in the morning to go anywhere, it takes me an extra 15 minutes to greet everyone. And if I try to hide, I am obviously spotted and my name is called.


The one thing that I do need to get readjusted to is the pace of life here...and the heat! I have had some minor frusterations getting started with my internship - which has yet to happen. The professor I am working with is super busy and she wants to meet with me formally to understand what kind of work I want to do. I briefly met with her today, and she seems like such a smart and powerful woman. She was pretty intimidating actually. But hopefully I will meet with her soon and thigs will get going. And the heat. Oh the heat! All I am going is i shower 3 tims a day.


Other than that things are great! My friend Andrea (who I met last time I was here, who is from the US) is also back in Ghana but she lives 3 hours away. She is so awesome and came into Accra for the weekend to get me from the airport and help me get settled in. I am going to go stay with her this coming weekend, and im pretty excited to get out of the city. The past few days have been good. I have been seeing old friends, which has been really nice, as well as getting settled and putting my room together. I was pretty jetlagged the first few days, but was busy that by Tuesday I crashed! And thats pretty much it! Nothing so exciting to report, but just wanted to touch base!


I will update once my work starts.

Hope all is well with everyone!

3 comments:

Alan said...

Just to let you know I am following and enjoying your blog. I suppose it can be frustrating putting so much work into your blog not knowing if anyone is reading it. Well I am and I look forward to many more.

The McGill Farmers' Market said...

I second Alan's comments as I too am reading and enjoying. funny how perfectly i can imagine everything, yet it is sort of frozen in time and space for me, how weird (and wonderful) to think that you are there in the present -- right now!!

....and enjoy the heat it seems that you may have taken it with you.....

Rachel Wardinger said...

Hi Ali,

Glad that you are safe and sound and back in your old neighbourhood! It's great that you feel so comfortable already. We miss you and love hearing about all your adventures. Keep the posts coming!

lots of love,

Rachel and the boys